I cannot count my day complete
'Til needle, thread and fabric meet.
~Author Unknown

Sharing a common thread with those who love the art of hand embroidery

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

With my needle and floss.............I am making the beautiful English Daisy bloom

on fabric. 
My eyes......and heart...........caught the attention of these beautiful flowers the other day at a nursery...........
I would love a whole flower garden of these.........
wouldn't you? 

I brought an armful home to decorate the window box

of the front of my vintage shop...................

but you know me very well .......
that as an embroidery artist........
growing these were not my first intention............

I would much rather grow them and watch them blossom.......
with my needle.
 I lightly sketched them onto plain cotton fabric

and explored every blossom and leaf

to get the right color of floss and 
to capture their likeness in French knots.........

straight and short stitches, chain stitches and whipped stitches.........

Their round yellow centers and almost fluffy appearance

(click on image for a better view)

had me stitching , until I got the results I liked. 
Although I have been doing embroidery like this for years..........I still feel intimidated when I cut the stitches to make the flowers look like this. 
I need to add a bee, I think.........
How about you?
What flower attracts your attention the most?
Have you ever grown English Daisies? 



12 comments:

Laurie said...

You truly are an artist with needle and thread. What I'd give for a portion of your talent!

Ana Love Craft said...

Wonderful embroidery! I loved to read your post! Great pics! You are so talented!
Have a wonderful day and week!
Hugs from Portugal,
Ana Love Craft
www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Miss Holly said...

Oh my gosh.....these are absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!
Absolutely beautiful!!!
I can only imagine a fabric of these in wool!!!

lil red hen said...

There are no words for this work of yours! The flowers look real! I'd like to touch them and smell them. Will they go into the shop?

Hill Top Post said...

Your embroidered daisy blooms are gorgeous...almost prettier than the real ones.

Preeti said...

Beautiful embroidery!! You have captured all the colors very nicely :)

Gina E. said...

You are so clever! I would never have thought of doing something like that, but I'm not creative like you...

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Wow! That is an absolutely gorgeous likeness. Your work is so amazing! Best wishes, Tammy

GardenOfDaisies said...

These are beautiful!!! I tried a year ago to grow English daisies... they did Ok, but not great. I must have had them in the wrong place. thanks so much for visiting my Facebook page. I tried to return the favor by commenting and liking yours, but there was no place to leave either. ?? Not sure what happened.

Bev said...

Pretty Pretty....such talent!!

Anonymous said...

So Sooo beautiful! You do delightful needlework. Always a pleasure to see it.

Hugs,
Marianne xo

A Colorful World said...

Your window box is a delight! And I love the embroidery work you have created from its inspiration.